Tuesday, August 13, 2013

The Style Cure

One of my favorite design/home decorating blogs, Apartment Therapy, is at it again with their month-long "cure" program - this time we'll be redecorating one room in our homes as a group through daily/weekend assignments delivered each day via email. I made a good effort at completing the January Cure as I blogged about earlier this year, so was excited to see another one come along - and hope to do a better job this time around! I have a few rooms I'd like to make over, so I'm hoping to repeat the process a couple times if it works!

We were in San Francisco the first few days of the month and then getting settled and unpacked so I am a week behind the group, but here goes!

Day 1: Complete the Style Cure Interview
This was a series of questions about some of your favorites - from actors and movies to rooms from your past and present. The idea was to help identify your personality and style and some of your goals for the project. Here were some of the conclusions that stood out for me:

How I would describe my style (got some of these ideas from the blog and other participants and I am aware some of these don't usually go together ;) :
preppy, classic, spa-like zen, craftsman chic, pops of quirkiness, bungalow chic

Features I like in some of my favorite rooms:
1 - NYC living room - even though we furnished it like a college apartment, I loved the character of the old parquet floors and the light coming in through the window

2 - Current kitchen - white cabinets that go all the way to ceiling (hate the "hanging" cabinet look), clean, punches of color via the decor, stained glass cabinets, and turquoise mixer, molding, bright, natural light, sliding window and windowsill of flowers and plants

3 - Conley's room - the only room in the house that I decorated completely from an empty room, grey walls, white beadboard and molding, neutral with punches of color (greens and blues for most part), dark wood floors

How I want the "cured" room to be described:
Happy, bright, inviting, cute, colorful, unique, uncluttered

Day 2: Weekend Chores - Go on a Style Treasure Hunt and Share Your Findings
I think of my Pinterest boards as my daily treasure hunt, so decided to just add to that. I kind of jumped ahead and already decided that I would be working on our outdoor office for the project and finally turning it into the office nook/playroom for Conley that we had originally envisioned. So with that, here are some of my favorite inspiration images from Pinterest:














Day 3: Choose Your Room, Sit for 10 Minutes & Take Before Pics
I sat in the office for a bit and it didn't take long to decide what would stay and go - since we just built it last year and have hardly done anything with it, there is not much clutter.

The desk, chair and cubby were bought specifically for the room, so those stay. Will think about the little table for Conley (depending on what else I find), but the accordion lamp, Ikea drawer cabinet and wicker storage trunk will all go - all leftovers from years of previous apartments. Unfortunately Peter needs that huge clunky printer/scanner for work, so will have to find a way to work it in along with the hideous wall AC unit - not sure what we were thinking having it installed there. And of course will want to get those cords under control! While I'm at it, I'd also like to finally get a couple of chairs and planters for the front porch - have been pinning ideas for months, just need to make a decision and this should be the motivation I need!












Love the natural light that comes through these tiny windows along the ceiling!

No comments:

Post a Comment